Saturday, February 17, 2007

Queenstown Part 1

2/9/2007

Today we drove a few hours from Mt. Cook to Queenstown. Just before we got into the town, we stopped to check out one of the places at which we would bungy jump in a few days. It is called "The Bridge" and actually was the first commercial bungy jump in the world. Pretty cool. Check out a couple pictures.


I was surprised to find out that Queenstown only has a population of about 8500. I had expected it to be larger since I had actually heard of the city, but I can understand that population now that I've been there. It's the adventure capital of NZ since it offers all sorts of adrenaline pumping activities like bungy jumping, sky diving, rafting, hang gliding, paragliding, etc. It's understandably quite touristy, and the town is dominated by restaurants, outdoor stores, accommodations, etc. Nevertheless, it is a very pleasant and beautiful town. Here's a picture. I didn't do a whole lot today. I basically just wandered around the town and got up to date on my emails and blog. Since we are coming back to Queenstown in about 5 days after our backpacking trip, I'll wait to post a bunch of pictures of the town. One more thing. I don't see a lot of policemen in NZ, but I'm always happy when I do. Just look at the colors of their cars and you'll see why. Go Gators!

No comments: